Absolute joke of a show, written with no imagination

Guest's review of We Will Rock You

“Absolute joke of a show, written with no imagination”

Written on: 19/04/2013

Well, well, well. Ben Elton in use popular songs people love and write a story around it shocker!

I had reservations about this from the beginning, but decided to give it a fair shot, afterall the ticket was free. Good thing really.

Okay let's start with the good (and the only reasons I have for giving it 2 stars instead of one). The music from the orchestra is cracking, they really capture the instrumental essence of Queen. The Killer Queen and Scaramouch (cringe) have really good voices. Powerful and soulful, note perfect with tone and expression. The set design was also very decent.

So, the bad...where to start? Storyline is weaker than a bullet made of tissue and the script is, quite frankly, the worst load of drivel I have had the misfortune to sit through. The tepid, horrible links to a Queen track then followed by the song, the names of the characters referring to lyrics made me cringe and the kind of sexual innuendo attepmt at comedy I'd expect from a Primary School playground. I was no fan of the acting but let's face it, they weren't working with much. This show is little more than latching on to very well written songs from the past, from a band with legend status and writing a half a***d story to stitch it together. It has all the craft, skill, creativity,charm and subtlety of a housebrick.

Don't get me wrong. I love light hearted shows, I enjoy great music and I love a storyline...I am by no means a theatre snob. It has to be said however, I have seen better shows at end of year High School productions and amatuer dramatics. It's not 'fun', it's not 'playful' and it's not 'spectacular'. It's a sorry excuse for a show that feels as if it was penned, produced and thrown out in an afternoon. This is a money counting exercise and it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.