Review of First Half Hour - HAD TO LEAVE!!!

Guest's review of We Will Rock You

“Review of First Half Hour - HAD TO LEAVE!!!”

Written on: 04/01/2012

Wish I had seen these reviews before wasting £85 on 2 tickets for my husband's christmas present. We have been theatre goers (especially musicals) for the past 20 years and have NEVER felt the need to walk out of a show before, but we honestly could not take any more TORTURE ! Could not understand what was going on, eventually didn't care, jokes were bad, script was awful, overacting was plentiful - have to admit though that singing was okay (pretty impossible to sing a Queen song badly!) Went to Theatre Royal bar next to Playhouse and the staff there advised us to go back in for the second half as it might get better - so we gave the show the benefit of the doubt and went back in but only managed 5 minutes this time! We stood at the back to assess the atmosphere before daring to go back to our seats, but decided we did not want to stay at a party where the only people having any fun or enjoyment were the ones up on stage. We had such high hopes for this show, having read favourable local newspaper reviews and people we knew saying they'd heard it was supposed to be good - the only recommendation we'll be giving people who ask is DON'T GO - WASTE OF MONEY!!

• Edinburgh Playhouse

Location

Thumbelinabelle's Comment

Written on: 25/02/2012

omg i had the same experience last night and am SO angry that I wasted £100 for 2 tix on that show. completely hoodwinked! didn't even bother to research reviews as the name and logo leads you to think it's entirely different. i have been going to shows for the last 15 years and never have I seen something so atrocious. even tho the singers were pretty good and obviously the songs epic, the insane, nonsensical, cheesy storyline and treatment with cringe one liners and the fact it was set in a mad max style dystopian future (fine in the 80/90s sure, but so jaded now), yet illogically referring to current technology and artists amongst a myriad of other ridiculousness made it unbearable. my sister wouldn't let me leave even though we both wanted to.