Mostly great but ...

• Quality Of Acts

Guest's review of Glastonbudget

“Mostly great but ...”

Written on: 05/06/2013

I have been to GB five times so that speaks volumes. They bill themselves as the biggest tribute band festival and so long as you are prepared to suspend your disbelief (which isn't difficult) you could just as easily be watching Michael Jackson, Madness, AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, etc in the flesh because most of the tribute bands REALLY ARE that good.

These acts are supplemented by a host of other original and cover bands and even comedy acts on the other stages. GB13 was helped a lot by the fantastic weather.

But GB is growing and changing. It's no longer cheap and on Saturday night the organisers put 'Guest Stars' on the main stage, a real departure from the likes of Queen, The Who, Oasis and Coldplay (or their tribute equivalents). Now I, for one, did NOT come to the festival to see the likes of ABC and Howard Jones and it seemed the majority of the crowd agreed as they left the main stage to see the likes of Guns'n'Roses in the smaller Big Top arena, this year billed as the Main Stage Number Two ... yeah, right!

We go in a motor home so I can't comment on things like toilets and campsite. Likewise we don't sample a lot of the food except on the last night I had a very passable noodle dish. Beer is good though and no huge queues anywhere.

The atmosphere at GB is good. A real mixture of age groups and it's still small enough to get to wherever you want and move around with leaving your base for the day.

I will be looking to see the line up next year. If they revert back to big names on the main stage I will go back. If not I might try TribFest for a change.

• May 2013