AutoTrader.co.uk May Give You a Headache!

• Range of ads

jasoncooke93's review of Autotrader - www.autotrader.co.uk

“AutoTrader.co.uk May Give You a Headache!”

Written on: 08/05/2013 by jasoncooke93 (43 reviews written)

I'm genuinely looking for car on AutoTrader as I type. I know what I want; model, colour, spec, etc. As an ex-boy racer, in the past I couldn't wait for the weekly magazine to hit the shelves on Thursday's to find my next hot-hatch. But now 10 years on the magazine is tiny in comparison, so the website is really the only option - or mobile app which I'm not a fan of.

However the website is beyond schizophrenic, the usability is poor and it stinks of desperation. Paid for 'Featured' Ads all over the place, constantly filling the ads and putting up resistance to the ads I really want to see - the specific search filters I've chosen.

Also where is the simple 'Search' box, the number one feature required for any ecommerce-esque website. Go to eBay, Amazon what do you see first, a search box with great search algorithms proving solid results. Not with Auto Trader, you have to complete a multitude of filters. There is a tiny search box below the filters promoted for "keyword" modifiers but this needs more exposure and/or a larger search box right at the top of the site so I can just search in quotation marks to get straight to the results I want. Maybe they promote the filters so you faff about and boost the "time spent on site" stats.

If you find cars you like you can add them to a compare list, 9 comparisons maximum. Problem is there appears to be a cookie expiry on this as my comparison list gets emptied if I return the following day and yes I'm signed into my account.

And the Wish-List feature, called 'Garage' where you save cars, is terrible. Just show me all of the cars I've saved in one long list, not 4 per page and allow me to group them into specific groups.

All-in-all a very tiresome car search process. I'm going for a lie down.

• Buying