Tried, tested, found to be fine

• Customer service

eldaifo's review of Hastings Direct Motorcycle Insurance www.hastingsdirect.com

“Tried, tested, found to be fine”

Written on: 21/01/2012 by eldaifo (2 reviews written)

I've used Hastings a couple of times to insure bikes, and on one occasion I was unlucky enough to need to put in a theft claim.

When I've used them they've been helpful, friendly and competitive. When they haven't been competitive, I've used someone else. Price is usually the deciding factor, after all.

All that really matters is the time I claimed, so I might as well describe that. Phoned up Hastings, reported bike stolen. Was put through to Chaucer (the underwriter), who took the details and had their claims handlers call me back within an hour or so. Got cut off, called Chaucer back, arranged another call. Half an hour or so on the phone with the claims handler (Brownsword) had me going through the details, and I was emailed shortly after with details of what I needed to send them to settle the claim.

Within two working days of sending them the keys and paperwork I had another email with an offer for the stolen bike. That was within a hundred notes of the insured value, so I accepted. Eleven days later I got a cheque from Chaucer.

Total time spent waiting for Hastings: A few minutes.
Total time spent waiting for Chaucer: Ten days, give or take postage
Total time spent waiting for Brownsword: Two days, give or take postage.

All in all, I'm not sure I could have asked for more. The claim was settled, nothing was quibbled, and apart from the bit where there's an implied assumption that you're a wannabe fraudster (which seems to be standard across the industry) it was as painless as can be.

Would I recommend Hastings Direct and Chaucer? Yeah, I would.

Have you made a claim?

• Customer service

Eldaifo's Response to eldaifo's Review

Written on: 14/03/2012

Six weeks on, I take back everything I said.

Time for another review...