No good in the wet or on the motorway

• Comfort

• Protection

• Quality

Guest's review of Shark S800 Butterfly

“No good in the wet or on the motorway”

Written on: 15/05/2012

I have the S800 matte black limited edition which I have used for the past few years on my daily commute. What attracted me to the helmet was the shelf price of £189 and the matte black and white graphics.

This helmet fits my head nice and snug and is quite light on my neck. The lining is nice and plush and can be removed quite easily which is handy as you will get hot and sweaty in this helmet. From what I've worked out the vents do nothing other than increase the noise from this already noisy helmet. The ventilation is also useless when it comes to clearing a fogged up visor.

I can only assume that previous reviewers have not used this helmet in the wet or the winter as it is absolutely terrible and the visor will fog up instantly. The only way to clear the visor is to open it a notch. But this will allow rain onto the inside of the visor compounding the problem. Mind you, the seal between visor and helmet is so poor that water will get in even if the visor is closed!

This helmet suffers badly from buffeting and wind noise. Long motorway journeys can be very tiring because of this. I'm also a little sceptical about the seatbelt style buckle holding out should it be called into action. A few times I have thought it to be done up only for it to come undone whilst on the move.

Would I buy/recommend this helmet again? In short, NO.

• Comfort