Was concerned but have been pleasantly surprised

Guest's review of Santander Mortgage www.santander.co.uk

“Was concerned but have been pleasantly surprised”

Written on: 08/10/2012

It's now approximately 2 years since we first took out a Santander fixed rate mortgage. Moving into a new build house with 5% deposit paid by the builder I was told that Santander were probably the only option for a mortgage. Although I had never had any problems personally with Santander (as a current account customer but one who had never really required anything from them other than the ability to access my money) the negative reviews of their mortgages and the poor reports of their customer service concerned me. However, as I said, there was very little option so having put down a deposit on the house we started the process of applying for the mortgage. Phoned up with all the information and completed the first stage on the phone. All approved very quickly. Sent in the paperwork and other than a slight problem with one item, it was all approved quickly again. Within 4 weeks of first looking at the house, we were moved in!

I think we were incredibly lucky (I've never heard of anyone who has had such a good experience moving into their first home) but Santander had their part to play, in particular the woman who dealt with our application who seemed to keep things moving and keep us informed throughout the process with very little pushing from us

Negative point was the rate wasn't very good, but that was our fault for not having a large enough deposit so I can't mark them down for it.

More recently, I phoned up to reduce the term on the mortgage and this request was handled efficiently. Next test will be when we start trying to make overpayments next year...

• Fixed rate