I wouldn't recommend this lot to my worst enemy

Guest's review of Northern Rock Mortgage www.northernrock.co.uk

“I wouldn't recommend this lot to my worst enemy”

Written on: 25/10/2012

Rather foolishly some 7 years ago,at the height of the property boom, took out a 15 year fixed-rate, self-certified mortgage for 115% of my property's value with Northern Rock. Big Mistake. HUGE. When things were good they were happy to lend, but now things are tough - and like so many others my income has fallen dramatically - they just don't want to know.
I've asked if I can come offer fixed rate to save money. No.
I've asked for a little understanding until I get back on my feet. No.
I've suggested that surely it would be more beneficial for them to help that to force me to sell. They couldn't care less.

For a Building society who was more than happy to help me get in over my head, they're now callous, unfailingly unhelpful and seemingly don't have any sort of social conscience.
I wish I knew then what I know now...

• Fixed rate

Product

• Interest only

Repayment Method

Danman565's Comment

Written on: 17/04/2013

Greedy man takes 115% mortgage, complains bank is greedy for wanting him to pay it back...

Textbook irony.

Try obtaining a mortgage nowadays when lenders give formal offers but will then action their the right to decline that offer at any point, including the day of completion, and would still consider a 20% deposit as high risk lending.