A very bad experience

Guest's review of BuzzBox - www.buzz-box.co.uk

BuzzBox - www.buzz-box.co.uk

“A very bad experience”

Written on: 14/04/2013

Very similar to the iphone story. i foolishly broke the sim card reader on my galaxy note trying to use a micro sim with adaptor (do not try it). all other functions were fine, it had effectively become a small tablet. buzzbox advertise average 4 day turnaround and gave a reasonable quote of about £50 so i sent it off. a week of silence went by, a telephone call told me it was 'in queue'. more calls told me the engineer was working on it. and working on it. and working on it. apparently he couldn't get it to read a sim, suspected a fault with the the mother board. alarm bells rang violently so i eventually forced a no charge return but apparently there was now a fault with a flickering screen display. this they tried to say was existing until i pointed out their own check in report made no reference to this. then the small print was wheeled out, 'we do not accept liability for damage to items in attempted repair'. the phone was eventually returned with a claim of reliable display function, although it was absolutely filthy on receipt. i soon discovered why when the display flickered and disappeared after 15 mins. this ever decreasing period of function was enough to discover that the sd card reader no longer worked either. the display is now completely dead. i then asked for a new phone on the grounds that buzzbox had turned a straightforward repair into an irrepairable disaster. then, astonishingly, they suggested i return the phone so that they could try and repair it 'without time constraints', bearing in mind the whole fiasco had already taken 3 working weeks. when i said no, they offered £25 compensation. currently i have bought a new phone and started a small claims case.

Buzzboxlimited's Comment

Written on: 26/06/2013

9 times out of 10 a fault on a handset is exactly as described by our customer but occasionally other faults are spotted during repair that maybe were not there before or went unnoticed. When this happens, we will attempt to repair it at no extra charge. This was the case with this repair. Unfortunately a straight forward sim reader replacement did not fix the fault. The part used was tested on another handset and worked fine. There was also a flickering of the screen. The fact the the sim could not be read after having changed the sim reader 3 times, suggests that the fault is on the board. A board fault repair includes a reflow of the motherboard and is not always successful and it wasn't in this case. The screen flicker was fixed though and we carried out our quality assurance testing and the handset passed them all (loudspeaker, wi-fi, charging etc.) apart from those that would need the sim card and so the handset was classed as beyond repair and we returned it to the customer at no charge. We originally received this handset on the 11th March and dispatched it on the 23rd. 12 days is much longer than our average turnaround and we apologise again to our customer for this. In our defense I can only say that the technician who carried this repair spent many many hours in attempted repair mainly because it posed a challenge. It was not a straight forward fix as most phone faults are and, although it is true that not every phone can be repaired in a reasonable time, we wouldn't class a phone as beyond economical repair lightly and may spend extra time on it to avoid doing so. I do understand that losing your phone for 2 weeks can be extremely inconvenient though. When the customer contacted us after receiving his handset and said that the screen was flickering (which sounded like the same fault that we informed the customer about during repair) of course we offered to look at this problem and hopefully fix it as although the phone was classed as beyond repair due to the sim reading fault, it may have still had some uses. The customer declined the offer and asked to be compensated for a new handset. Scene as the customer was obviously not happy, I thought an alternative option would be to buy the handset from the customer and offered £80, which for a galaxy n7000 that won't read a sim card was a very fair offer. That way the customer is at no loss and the technician could have as much time as he liked to try and repair. The customer refused to return the handset for further repair and refused to sell us the handset at that point obviously agitated. The customer suggested we pay £300 in compensation for a new handset. The handset sells for less than that brand new and so not thinking this was a fair option, I offered for the customer to keep the handset and £25 as good will, not as compensation. At this point the customer threatened court proceedings. Dear customer, I still believe that £80 is a fair offer for a faulty n7000 and the offer remains open. Please come back to me if you change your mind. For anyone else reading this, I would certainly be interested to hear what you think is a fair solution. We fix a couple of thousand devices per year and so I know not every single one of those is going to be plain sailing. I like to think that what defines us is not the problems that arise but the way we deal with them and so I invite the opinions of others on this matter. Many thanks, Lindsay

Twilitezone's Comment

Written on: 27/06/2013

A very touching and eloquent piece from the director of Buzzbox. I have a certain respect and admiration for this young lady in her very maternal attempts to protect her baby. I wish she had been there at the start of this affair, i don't think it would have come to this. Unfortunately she came in after the damage. Despite the smoke and mirrors, i have proof that the unit went to Buzzbox with the single fault of a simcard reader and the grandchildren had been using it as an app pad quite happily. Buzzbox's own check in report makes no mention of other faults. When it first became apparent that something bad had happened, Buzzbox hid behind their small print by saying they accept no responsibility for damage or failure caused by their repair. When i said this was an unacceptable excuse from a company who's stated purpose was to repair, the director became involved and i believe was misinformed by her staff. Whatever. No sweetness or customer relations can cover the fact that buzzbox returned a filthy, broken phone. My claim is for the cost of a replacement phone, best online price for UK handset was £330 and as such is now in process through the Small Claims Tribunal. This is not an emotive 'threat' but a recognised way of settlement. What i will accept from Buzzbox is an open admission that mistakes can occur in the most perfect of organisations and the cost of my replacement phone, less their fair initial repair quote value of £54, = £276. Plus tribunal fee already paid, £35 = £311.
Or, see you in court.