Savings off Verizon, though coverage is spotty

• Signal Coverage

GeeJayKay's review of T-Mobile - www.t-mobile.co.uk

“Savings off Verizon, though coverage is spotty”

Written on: 08/01/2017 by GeeJayKay (2 reviews written)

After having more and more family members adding onto my wireless plan with Verizon, it was getting to the point that monthly bills were in the $225 range. In addition, the data plan was limited to 6 GB for the entire family -- I had to apportion out "allowances" of bytes to each device, in some kind of Old Testament fashion. Anyway, the thing that really got me shopping was that Verizon started posting all kinds of advertisements in my train station, saying that they had "Philly covered". This was especially hypocritical to me, because my chief complaint with Verizon coverage in the Philadelphia area were two mile-long dead zones on the Paoli-Thorndale regional rail line. No data connection and barely marginal voice connection in those zones.

So, I took a look at T-Mobile, and the sales rep had a very good understanding of my problem. He suggested that I take a T-Mobile SIM card for two weeks, try it out on the train, and make sure it worked well for data connectivity all along my commuter route. Not only did it have a stronger connection than Verizon, the speeds were incredible. The top 4G speed I ever got on the train from Verizon was about 20 Mbps -- but with T-Mobile, I was getting 50 Mbps or higher in a lot of places.

I switched the entire family to T-Mobile, and while we have all noticed that there are some rural areas where T-Mobile is not giving us the same good voice-call connection that Verizon did, we are paying $65 less per month than we did with Verizon, and now instead of my partitioning 6 GB of data to multiple family members, we *each* are allotted 6 GB, and there are reserve data caches that carry over from month to month.

Thus, we're very happy that we switched to T-Mobile.

• 6 - 12 Months