Retention Team's poor service

• Signal Coverage

Siju70's review of O2 - www.o2.co.uk

“Retention Team's poor service”

Written on: 02/12/2011 by Siju70 (1 review written)

The worst customer service I have received in my life was from O2's retention team today. Hubby received similar poor service. I have had 2 interactions with O2, one at the start of my contract 25 months ago and the second today when I asked for my PAC code. I called O2 as my contract came to an end on 25th of October with every intention of renewing my contract but the quality of the interaction left me no choice but to leave. I expected O2 to proactively engage me at the end of my contract to try and retain me but there was no contact.

I erroneously assumed that they would at the very least move me on to a Sim only contract if they weren't offering me a new phone. That did not happen. I emailed on 28/11/11 and got an automated email to complete a form which I did. I heard nothing though saw a missed call which I did not know was from O2. I sent another email from the office on 1st of December and got a call from the same number. I was on my way to the GP so asked the man to call me after an hour but I never received the call. Today (02/12) I decided to call the number and got an automated message to call a 4 digit number from my phone. I did and that is when the nightmare truly began. The guy I spoke to insisted quite harshly that it was my responsibility to cancel the contract and that if I don't they change me to a rolling month but continue to charge me old contract case. I asked him to clarify the Sim only charge for the service I am getting which came out at £20.50. Even though O2 is aware that I am being over-charged, I was told they could not change the charge because I did not cancel the contract. I told the guy I had not had Internet for 3 days but that went over his head as he was only interested in insisting that because I declined marketing information in 2009 they could not contact me to tell me my contract was being changed but I would still be paying as though I got a new phone when I really did not get one. Given that each month I get my bill by email, I asked why I did not get a text or email but he insisted that was the so called marketing information. I tried to explain that there must be a difference between marketing info and customer service information. An email informing me of the choices/ next steps at the end of a contract is not marketing but rather it is treating customer fairly by giving them information relating to the product held.

I explained to the guy that as a family we had 4 phones with O2 but that meant nothing and I also told him we had gone to the O2 store in Blackburn but it was closed for renovation, so we had no option but to hope that we could contact O2 via phone or email. I explained I had not received a response though he insisted that one had been sent. He said it was not his job to define marketing information versus customer information. He was not apologetic or understanding leaving me no choice but to ask him to put me on the cheapest possible contract so I could leave. He said I was already down to leave on the back of my second email and the date was 27th of December, apparently I had to give one month notice as I was now on rolling month contract. I agreed to the minimum £10 contract for 100 minutes and dropped the phone. On second thought I realised I did not want to stay with O2 longer than I needed to so I asked for a PAC code speaking to another guy who insisted as I wanted to leave O2 I could not benefit from the cheaper contract and he would have to put me back on to the £35 contract. I could care less at this point and would have paid O2 to leave them if that is what it took.

I advised my hubby that he would have to call to discuss his own account and he called hoping for an upgrade but when he asked why he did not have any contact from O2, the conversation went downhill and resulted in him also getting his PAC code. This time he spoke to a guy and a lady called Tracy and neither of them was helpful and could care less about wanting him to stay.

Our contract with O2 was a 2 year one for £35 per person per month on the iPhone 3GS. I think O2 need to either find a way to give customers information to help them make an informed decision at the end of a contract or at the very least change the charge for the rolling monthly contract to reflect that customer is now on a Sim only contract. To charge
more than the service provided is dishonest and unfair to loyal customers.

Not one of the 4 people we spoke to on the retention team cared about us as customers costing O2 4 contracts today. I only hope we were exceptions and O2 staff see the link between customers, good service, repeat purchase, customer recommending to others and the success of the company and their job security.

• Over 1 Year