You'd be better off saving £6 a month!

• Customer service

Guest's review of Orange Mobile Phone Insurance www2.orange.co.uk

“You'd be better off saving £6 a month!”

Written on: 10/07/2012

As the title says, I'll explain:

for my HTC Desire the insurance costs £6 per month.
I bought the HTC Desire on contract for 24 months.
Month 21 is when it got water damage and needed replacing. That all went fine, they agreed to replace it etc.
However, they didn't have any refurbished Desire's in stock so they said they would give me a superior phone - the HTC Wildfire S (refurbed).

Anyway, the Wildfire S isn't superior, it has a 600mhz processor while the Desire has a 1Ghz processor. The screen is smaller and of a lesser quality. It is a lot less responsive and a lot more annoying to use.

That aside, have a look at how much I spent on Insurance:

21 months at £6 per month = £126
a manufacturer refurbished HTC Wildfire S on eBay = £95

So I've let £31 quid go to waste over the insurance. It's not that great a loss but what is the point? If I lost/damaged my phone in the first month of buying it and I got a crappy refurbished inferior phone to the one I bought I would be gutted.

That's the basics of it. You're better off saving £6 a month. You'll spend a lot of time on the phone too, 0800 and 0845 numbers which cost a lot from a mobile phone. I got passed from department to department (and I think country to country too) so many times, and they were attempting to duplicate cases every time I phoned up. They have no organisation or understanding, they just read the templates in front of them and don't actually interact with you. It's pointless, not worth the hassle.

Have you made a claim?