Sailing downhill

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

MartyHirst's review of P&O Mini Cruise, Hull to Amsterdam

“Sailing downhill”

Written on: 03/09/2012 by MartyHirst (1 review written)

As a regular user of just about all of the available North Sea crossings (average 150 crossings per year for the last ten years) I have experienced many levels of standard and a range of quality of service.

Last night, for the first time in ages, I shipped on P&O's "Pride of Hull".
I was given a cabin key on deck 8, just down the corridor from the noisy cabaret/disco.

On entering my cabin and checking the bathroom I noticed the shower-head was held in position by a plastic bag being tied around it and the soap dispenser was defective, filled but unserviceable. I lifted the toilet lid and was confronted by a toilet bowl filled to the brim with human waste. These ships sail only once a day so it'd been there for at least twelve hours. Quickly closing the lid and pressing & holding the vacuum button disposed of that little welcome gift. I reported it to reception, she apologised.

Down at the bar I ordered a pint of Stella. £3,50 to you sir, or €5,10
Five Euro's and Ten Cents for a pint of Stella?? (€3,20 on Stena Line)

Over the intercom an announcer "was pleased to inform us" that the Bureaux de Change was now open and that P&O charges no commission on transactions. Today's exchange rate was €1,41 to the pound. I quickly checked online, the going rate that day was €1,26 to the pound. Who needs commission at those rates?

Deck 8 is, of course, directly above deck 7. Deck 7 is the main car-deck. Ships move a little and vibrate slightly. Car alarms are sensitive to all this and trip regularly. This is all very audible through the floor and resulted in a broken night's sleep.
Eventually, at 05,30hrs I gave up and took a cold shower. "No hot water?", I hear you ask. Plenty of hot water, I just needed to cool down, the wall thermostat was broken and was stuck on 30 degrees all night!

Thank you P&O. Thank you for reminding me why I prefer crossing with Stena Line.