Valentines Mini Cruise from Newcastle to Amsterdam

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Guest's review of DFDS Seaways, Newcastle to Amsterdam

“Valentines Mini Cruise from Newcastle to Amsterdam”

Written on: 19/02/2013

Having read a lot of the other reviews I was honestly regretting my fiancée having booked a mini valentine's cruise!!! The drive from Birmingham to Newcastle was bearable took just over 3 hrs... landed at Quays shopping centre which is next to the car park... what a little gem of a shopping centre started shopping like crazy and yes there is a cafe/restaurant and a Subway so ate before we boarded all the reviews were saying the ferry was pricey on board the ferry ...YES the food is Extortionate 40 Euros for a Steak!!. However you have ample opportunity to book your meals before hand so make sure you do!! Also upgrade UPGRADE!!! We originally booked the cheapest bunk bed affair but luckily at the terminal we managed to upgrade to Commodore class and on our return we upgraded to Commodore Plus..
On boarding and leaving the ferry it wasn't the nightmare we were expecting we were greeted by friendly staff and it took no more than 20 mins to get off the ferry.. . the ferry itself is comparable to a 3 star hotel and if you look carefully you will see wear and tear... the ala carte restaurant is fine.. but I am a buffet type of guy and the food was no worse then any 3 star hotel I have stayed in. The on board shop was a delight (for you smokers... 200 B&H silver worked out to £10 cheaper than at the UK) there were some great deals on perfumes, Paco Rabbone (19.99 Euros) jewellery, Pandora charms (40 Euros) etc...
The only downside for me was the music!!! Who has heard of Buddy Holly!!!
All in all we had a relaxing break there was a lot to do on board and the staff were always courteous and helpful...but the old adage you get what you pay must hold true as there were people moaning... some had there own coffee mugs and didn't want to spend 3.50 Euros... but then again I don't think they have heard of Starbucks. Would I go again... most definitely.