Island escape experience May 2013

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Alan.P65's review of Island Cruises, Island Escape

“Island escape experience May 2013”

Written on: 02/06/2013 by Alan.P65 (1 review written)

On the 25th May I was 65, on the 24th May I thought I was not going to see it. We were sitting in the restaurant on deck 10 when the ship rocked slightly and then suddenly veered over, to see the sea rushing up towards us on one side and objects and people falling towards us was very frightening, my wife and my young sister were thrown against the windows both suffering slight bruising. The restaurant crew looked to be in shock with one officer saying he could not believe it, every thing that was not bolted down flew down. We watched as people were removed in wheel chairs and assisted out of the restaurant. Afterwards no explanation was given to us as to what happened, other then putting it down to weather conditions, at no.time did anyone appear to do a roll call to make sure everyone was still on board, hopefully no one was outside having a smoke. Also my brother in law was ill with what we thought sea sickness because no one mentioned anything about novo virus being on board so we are now wondering what he had. We will be complaining to Thomsons, I suggest that everyone on this trip do the same and try to get some answers, (1) why did the captain decide to leave the port if weather conditions were so bad (2) why did no one do a roll call afterwards (3) why did no one bother to explain to people as to what happened, as for the Island escape we will not be sailing on her again, can understand why Thomson did not put there name on this "ship" We have sailed with Thomson before on the Destiny and really enjoyed it, thus the reason for going with Thomson again.

• 21st May 2013

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Andi1945's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

I agree with what you experienced as I experienced the same. I have been advised to contact a lawyer especially regarding the Noro Virus. My friend is still stressed and is not sleeping well. Some people can cope but others like my friend find it over hard to be over the trauma.

Jennom's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 11/06/2013

6 of us were also on this trip, and fortunately all seated in the restaurant. We were shielded by a cupboard from most of the flying glass and crockery, but heard lots of horror stories, including that a waiter had broken an arm whilst holding up a tray. Others around had been cut by glass. We had no idea that we had the opportunity of leaving the ship, unless injured. How did people actually get home - did Thomsons help out?
Also again we were not informed re Norovirus, only wondered at way food was served, and noticed no salt/pepper containers on tables - just little sachets. 2 of us were taken ill after returning home though! Nice.
I think the ship should be retired as a cruise ship, the noise of banging and creaking at night was terrible, it sounded as though it was falling to bits.
Does anyone know if there was any official enquiry re incident at Citevecchia, and what the outcome was?
I would cruise again, but never on that ship. The best thing about it were the staff.

Lolomcman's reply to Jennom's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

i have been in contact now with a few people regarding this.

please contact me if you think we would benefit from a joint effort. maybe using the same solicitors.
thanks

Jennom's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Nev1962's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 07/06/2013

Exactly the questions i have asked our tour company.
I will post my email if anyone wants to get in touch over Thomson's response. njc1962@me.com

Lolomcman's Response to Alan.P65's Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

Hi I was also travelling with the island escape with my family had I am not really upset and disturbed by what happened and how we where treated.
Myself and family actually left the cruise the following day as did not feel safe or reassured.
I am so glad I have read this review and seeing someone shares the same views.
I have contacted Thomsons and was surprised at their lack of empathy. I also wasn't asked about what had happened or our personal experience which I feel is just their way of avoiding what happened.
would you be willing to swap details to see if there is something we can maybe do as a joint effort?

Tazbunny's reply to Lolomcman's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2013

I am happy to join forces