It was a disaster

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Andi1945's review of Island Cruises, Island Escape

“It was a disaster”

Written on: 30/05/2013 by Andi1945 (1 review written)

The first few days were good and we enjoyed the entertainment. But on Friday 24th due to bad weather the wind blew the Italian pilot ships which were taking us out of the port of course the captain had to do a sharp turn which caused tables to be upturned pianos to go crashing across the lounge. Waiters were scalded with hot water and oil. There were many casualties and I myself was thrown from one end of my cabin to the next and received bruises. My fried was in a terrible state and no wonder many thought the ship would not right itself. There were two changes to the planned stops. We couldn't get to St Rafael and Livorno. Even though my hand hygiene is strong I still contracted the dreaded Noro Virus and was quarantined ergo we couldn't get off the ship to see Barcelona. This was my first cruise and I will never go aboard a Mediterranean cruise ship ever again.

• 21st May to 28th May 2013

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Judithl's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 30/05/2013

We were on that cruise and I agree with everything you say ! It was terrifying only those on board will ever know just how frightening it was ..that night the ship should never have left port ..what excuse would have been used if we had gone right over ( only a slight margin to go !) and we should have been informed earlier about the Noro virus..I believe it was on the ship when we embarked on 21st ..but we're only informed on Sun 26th th that fumigation was going to take place on 28 th in Palma !!

Lolomcman's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 04/06/2013

I was also on the ship travelling with my family, one of who as cruised many times.
That was the most terrifying experience of my life!!! and when I seen a review on here earlier saying "not as bad as being made out" I was so angry.
I can only imagine it is someone who works on the ship or the "captain" himself who had written that, as I cant believe someone would be so un-sympathetic or condescending to write that when people are clearly upset.
I have contacted Thomson since leaving the ship early and it was utterly disgraceful they way the have communicated with us.
they still after 5 phone calls haven't asked what had happened or how we are dealing with things now. To which I can only think their reason for this is if they don't ask they don't need to accept responsibility!!
the only good thing I can say is LUCKILY none of us had or have taken ill with the novo virus.
I would be more than happy though to swap details with anyone in relation to the listing of the boat to see if something more can be done.
we have been told that for anyone who had left the boat early they will be offered the remain of their holiday back, pro rota, oh and a £100 voucher for thomsons!!

Jjdob's reply to Lolomcman's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2013

I too think the person who says it wasn't so bad was one of the staff, either that or they were on a different ship!!!

Jennom's reply to Lolomcman's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

6 of us were also on this trip, and fortunately all seated in the restaurant. We were shielded by a cupboard from most of the flying glass and crockery, but heard lots of horror stories, including that a waiter had broken an arm whilst holding up a tray. Others around had been cut by glass. We had no idea that we had the opportunity of leaving the ship, unless injured. How did people actually get home - did Thomsons help out?
Also again we were not informed re Norovirus, only wondered at way food was served, and noticed no salt/pepper containers on tables - just little sachets. 2 of us were taken ill after returning home though! Nice.
I agree the ship should be retired as a cruise ship, the noise of banging and creaking at night was terrible, it sounded as though it was falling to bits.
Does anyone know if there was any official enquiry re incident at Citevecchia, and what the outcome was?

Andi1945's reply to Jennom's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

I would love to know if there was an official enquiry and if not why not. Surely with all the radar equipment that the captain had at his disposal he would have realised we were getting to near the rocks and guided the ship away safely and not turned sharp as he did. Was he looking at his equipment. I just cannot accept that turning so quickly was his only way of dealing with this very scary incident..

Andi1945's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

Hi, all, I have just spoken to [name removed] from Irwin Mitchell's accident lawyers who work on a no win no fee policy . She has been extremely helpful and told me she has had a few people who were on the Island Escape and has asked me to give out her telephone number. The more people the bigger the claim so please contact her and let's see if we can get well deserved compensation. I am sending her all the stuff I have from the review. If you don't want your review sent to her please get back to me asap.

Hazelsnats's reply to Andi1945's Comment

Written on: 19/06/2013

hi, I was also on this ship on that night and would love to find out how you are getting on with advise from lawyer. I am from Ireland and I will be putting a claim in also

Susanas's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 31/05/2013

My husband and agree completely, we were with a party of 12 two of whom were tipped off their chairs during the listing of the ship. One of the worst things was that no announcement was made for about 30 mins so no one knew what was had happened. No apology was given even then and nothing said in the newspaper that was given out that night.
My husband was also meticulous about hand hygiene but he still contracted Norovirus and we were both confined to the cabin thus missing Barcelona as well. Certainly would not like to do this type of cruise again. We have cruised with P&O previously and that was fantastic.

Andi1945's reply to Susanas's Comment

Written on: 04/06/2013

I have been advised to see a lawyer. So many things happened the ship turning so sharply causing many including me to be badly bruised then to contract the Noro virus . Thomson need to be brought to book for causing so much stress to so many.

Ratbag508's Response to Andi1945's Review

Written on: 30/05/2013

yes it was a disaster and I also got the noro virus and was very ill the cleanliness of the ship wasn't up to standard and lots of people were sanityising why did we still get ill i was just glad to get off the ship and go home and glad to be alive no more island escape for me

Andi1945's reply to Ratbag508's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2013

Please contact [name removed] she is a lawyer and is interested in all thAt has happened to us. She is no win no fee so it so it won't cost you anything and it could help..