we wanted to escapei

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

marlene.shearn's review of Island Cruises, Island Escape

“we wanted to escapei”

Written on: 19/03/2013 by marlene.shearn (2 reviews written)

This ship,the Island Escape gave poor service.Restaurants crowded,long queues.Plastic plates in self service restaurant with no access to wine during the meal.Entertainment very poor ,laptops crashing regularly.Theatre show excellent.Towels bedding and beds well below standard in our inside cabin deck 9.All inclusive drinks package very poor.Not as described in the brochure You will be charged for coffees at the bars;we expected to pay for speciality coffees only.Many people complaining. Too few dining seats, we circled the self service to miss the long queues in the other restaurant.We cleared tables ourselves This was exacerbated by the impact of poor weather reducing the outdoor seating capacity to nothing If you wanted a coffee you had to move from the bar/area of seating and go to the urns on deck 10.This was an example of the policy which had scant regard for the product advertised in the brochure.Lifts frequently broke down public toilets frequently flooded and carpets soaked from leaking portholes,deck doors only loosely closed with chains and dripping light fittings on deck 7.We We heard "code bravo all crew to deck 7 tannoyed as staff were called to put out a fire" We were sleeping with the lights on so that we would know if the engines stopped again completely.In a storm we lost all engines on this very old,poorly functioning ship We were 5 minutes from abandoning ship to vessels from the Italian navy,reported on Italian TV. The list of the ship took glasses off the tables.After nearly 90 minutes of drifting in storm conditions without any engines the captain made a curt announcement"The coastguard has been alerted and we have enormous support should we need it"My personal experience of a week on-board was that it was not fit for purpose.I was horrified to see it advertised on Travel zoo and realised that I had not done this review on this site Many reviews on trip advisor mirrored my review.The week we travelled was 23 October 2012.Background underinvestment in cabins but our concern was total engine failure at sea The loss of life in that storm would have been huge.Decisions to continue the next night in the storm were questioned by passengers:that night the dripping water caused a major fire on deck 7. Some staff were hysterical following engine failure.If a serious accident happens again on this boat,I have written the review.

• 23-30 0ctober 2012

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Lorrainedenholm's Response to marlene.shearn's Review

Written on: 01/04/2013

Sorry to hear that its not up to scratch... we are due to go in a couple of weeks... not too fussed for the standard restaurants, dont mind paying a bit extra for a la carte restaurant. Heard about coffees. Re all inclusive, is the wine included in the a la carte restaurant? Is it likely to be cold on board? Not sure what to expect, our first cruise!

Carollala's reply to Lorrainedenholm's Comment

Written on: 18/04/2013

It is a wonderful ship it may be old but I loved the food entertainment, staff can't so enough for you, my mum who is disabled was helped all the time, I honestly loved it last September and have rebooked for this September it's all inclusive this year , I can't wait to get a warm and friendly welcome as before, you will love it !