Can't be repaired

Guest's review of Tripp - www.tripp.co.uk

Tripp - www.tripp.co.uk

“Can't be repaired”

Written on: 03/11/2013

The outer casing on the wheel of my small Tripp hand luggage suitcase cracked and came off after 4 years. I am not a heavy traveller so I don't use the suitcase that much (maybe 2/3 times per year) and would have expected it to last longer. Tripp offer a 5 year guarantee but I didn't get around to contacting them for ages and when I did, surprise surprise I was just 4 months out of the guarantee period.

However, they told me it is not possible to repair the wheels! The casing on the other wheel is starting to crack so I think that one's going to drop off soon too. The rest of the suitcase is fine, all it needs is a new pair of wheels. However they don't provide spares, and there does not seem to be any way to detach the wheels for replacement. Even if I was within the guarantee period they would just send me a new suitcase rather than repair the old one.

Tripp's excuse is that the wheels on their cases are different across collections and thus they can't keep spares. How about making the wheels standard then?! Or at least providing an easy way for customers to remove and replace them with generic wheels.

So either I keep using a suitcase with a pair of wonky (and very noisy) wheels, or an otherwise perfectly usable suitcase goes into landfill! I will keep using it for the moment as I can't justify binning it. But I will not be buying Tripp again - this is terrible product design and very inconsiderate of the environment.

Looking through these reviews I see I'm not the only one and I wish I'd looked here before buying. Spend a little more and invest in a suitcase that will last you for decades not just a few years.

• Durability

Trippluggage's Comment

Written on: 07/11/2013

Good Morning,

Thank you for your review regarding the wheels on your suitcase.

We fully appreciate your frustration with regards to the wheels on our products. As with any product with moveable parts especially something like a wheel that is in contact with rough surfaces, they will eventually wear in time.

Unfortunately our suitcases do not come apart so that you can replace any of the componant parts, we believe that this makes them stronger.

Our wheels do vary on every product as we do a wide range of different styles of suitcase. Some are made of more premium materials and this is reflected in the price meaning that the wheels do have to be adjusted to ensure that the design of every suitcase is as good as it can be.

I appreciate your comments and I have already passed your feedback onto our product team from when we spoke initially.

Please let me know if there's anything further we can do to help.

Kind Regards

Tripp Customer Service

Stupropmaint's Comment

Written on: 17/12/2013

I also have a case that was used once from brand new and the wheel carrier has broken off completely.It now doesnt roll along and if I could get a spare it would be fine.
So perfect suitcase now unusable seems such a waste for the want of a spare part.
I will buy better quality next time also as the wheel carrier was not fit for purpose.