Damaged on first use

Guest's review of Tripp - www.tripp.co.uk

Tripp - www.tripp.co.uk

“Damaged on first use”

Written on: 14/08/2012

Before our recent holiday we decided to invest in new lugguage as our 10 year old suitcases were looking a little tired. We bought Tripp cases from Debenhams, big mistake. Not fit for purpose.

Collected our lugguage on arrival at holiday airport, the whole wheel and wheel unit was missing. When you look closely it was only held in by a bit of plastic and 2 screws. We have had our old lugguage 10 years and the set before that for about 15 years, a few knocks which is what you expect, but no problem with dislodged wheel units or any other damage, but in my opinion, these have well fitted, substantial plastic wheel units, - NOT THE FLIMSY PLASTIC ONES THAT TRIPP USE.

My advice is never ever buy a Tripp suitcase, even though the suitcase was less than 5 weeks old and used for just one trip, Debenham's will not refund your money - airport damage they say, not a manufacturers fault. My opinion is that Tripp suitcases are not designed to withstand normal baggage handling, so not fit for purpose, so we will never buy another Tripp suitcase or any other lugguage from Debenhams. I am thinking of contacting trading standards for their advice as I think that suitcases should be designed to withstand a certain amount of handling. I am really, really disappointed with Debenhams for selling these substandard cases.

• Durability

Brianliverpool's Comment

Written on: 17/08/2012

I understand your annoyance but surely it should be directed at the airport handling staff who have caused the damage.
I purchased a Carlton suitcase which cost over £80.00 in November 2011. In January 2012 I took the case on a flight to Malaga, on arrivel at my hotel I found a large split in the underside of the case between the built in wheels. This was obviously caused by poor handling procedures but I was unable to claim as I had left the airport without reporting something I did not know had happened. The 5 year unconditional warranty was useless as it did not cover mishandling, ('Unconditional'???). This is the third case I have had destroyed by airport abuse and it is about time something was done about it by the airport authorities.
Brian, Liverpool.