DO NOT BUY!

Guest's review of Tripp - www.tripp.co.uk

Tripp - www.tripp.co.uk

“DO NOT BUY!”

Written on: 27/03/2012

Bought two Tripp suitcases from Debenhams. Took them to The Gambia and the seals on the hinged side came apart. They were poorly designed, only had a dot of glue holding them together and after just one holiday were badly damaged. Went back to Debenhams to be told the "guarantee doesn't apply because this was airport handing damage". Fortunately we knew the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and argued that the suitcases were not fit for purpose if they could be damaged to this level on one holiday, they did not meet a durability test and that this was NOT a case of airport damage, it was poor quality. Was then told that we couldn't have a refund because we didn't have the receipt, until we pointed out that again, a bank statement showing the purchase was legally proof of purchase. One stroppy sales assistant, two phone calls, 15 minutes and us standing our ground later, we got a full refund.
Save yourself the bother, don't buy Tripp!

• Durability

• Medium size

Size / Capacity

Angelfraz's Comment

Written on: 03/04/2012

I have noticed that Tripp do state on he guarantee that they do not cover handler damage. Why should they? Its the airlines that throw your cases about. Tripp make great cases and mine has lasted great. Look around at what the other shops are coming out with for that price and you won't find better. If you want better quality then you will need to pay the price for Samsonite or Antler, however some of these don't hold up to handler damage either. Doesn't matter if its one or ten trips it depends who is loading up your plane.

Dago10's Comment

Written on: 24/11/2012

I am sorry Angelfraz but I really do not understand the logic to your comment.You are perfectly right and correct,it is the airport handlers who tend to be rough with suitcases,but surely as people buy a suitcase to go on holiday with,and most times involving a flight,then Tripp need to seriously come up with a better design for its products.You should certainly get more use from a suitcase over several holidays and flights,and not,as is happening in most of the complaints just one journey..These cases may look colourful and a 5 year guarantee seems impressive but these cases are not fit for purpose and about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Dago10's Comment

Written on: 24/11/2012

I really am at a loss as to the logic in your comment.As you say it is the airlines and baggage handlers who throw the cases about,but surely if you are giving a 5 year guarantee a suitcase should have been designed to withstand more rough handling than they appear to do so.They should certainly be useable for more than one trip which most reviews are indicating is the case.
There is no disputing the fact that Tripp cases look colourful, and a 5 year guarantee is a magnet and should give some piece of mind,but it is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.Someone mentioned trading standards and I think they should look into the matter as they are really not fit for purpose.

Angelfraz's Comment

Written on: 26/11/2012

My mum took a Tripp express case to Australia. It came back in one piece without a scratch. Explain how all Tripp cases are bad when she took one of the cheapest ones to the other side of te world and its ok?

Guest's Comment

Written on: 10/05/2012

Wish I had read this review first.
Purchased two Tripp cases for my daughter's, first use both have damage to the edging bead. I understand cases get scuffed in transit, but for such an expensive case to have the edging bead split n it first use is a joke.
Emailed Tripp explaining this and was told airport damage isn't covered which I knew anyhow! Replied stating that the material used for the edging is not fit for purpose and they have ignored te email, great customer service!
Glad I've just found this as confirms.my thoughts that these should be durable and are clearly not fit for purpose...