Samsonite Warranty Not Honoured

• Durability

Richardtan's review of Samsonite - www.samsonite.co.uk

Samsonite - www.samsonite.co.uk

“Samsonite Warranty Not Honoured”

Written on: 15/10/2011 by Richardtan (1 review written)

It has been nearly four months since I sent my Samsonite backpack for repair under warranty in Singapore. I have not been able to get through their phone. Every call took me to their phone mail box to hear an announcement that the mail box was full. Mulitple calls to the head office of Samsonite Singapore also fell on deaf ears or that the three staff whom I spoke with earlier had already resigned.

Yesterday, I had no choice but to email Samsonite US Head Office and Samsonite Regional Head Office in Hong Kong. I had to also give the Samsonite Singapore Office an ultimatum that I would not hesitate to get a lawyer to handle this S$130 backpack issue or the media to do a story on the bad service I have been experiencing. Someone finally called me last evening to say the voucher was ready for my collection. But to my horror, and to add insult to injury for keeping me in the dark for nearly 4 months, the voucher they issued me was not for the full value of the backpack.

When I bought the backpack, I received a 10% discount using my Amex card and Samsonite is now insisting that should I want a similar backpack worth S$130 as a replacement for the one that had manufacturing defects, I will have to pay them 10% on top of the voucher value. Is this fair?

Furthermore, I noticed the Singapore Samsonite Service Centre was in a mess. I asked the staff what happened. They said they were moving out. I asked where to. They said

• Durability

Guest's Response to Richardtan's Review

Written on: 30/10/2011

Not fair at all! It is just an example of unfair trade practice! A warranty covers the entire product whether it is sold at discount or even given away as a free gift and as such replacement means the entire unit!

Guest's Response to Richardtan's Review

Written on: 23/11/2011

Samsonite's 10 years warrenty is a lie. 10 year warrenty against manufacturing defects. Anything that happen during your travel is deemed mis-handling. So what is manufacturing defect? Why cover 10 years? They expect us to buy the luggage and keep it for 10 years and not use it?