Not cheap, but very very good

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

rabbit2's review of The French Table, Surbiton, Kingston upon Thames

“Not cheap, but very very good”

Written on: 26/10/2012 by rabbit2 (2 reviews written)

Ate at The French Table yesterday lunchtime. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming on an autumn day.

We don't normally eat in expensive restaurants, but thought this would be a nice treat. It was my wife's birthday - a fact that the waiter subtly extracted from me at the beginning of the meal.

Champagne cocktails and home-bread were brought to the table, followed by some interesting starters.

We had a carafe of house red which was delicious. Why don't more places do carafes? It's a much more sensible amount of wine for a meal.

I had a vegetarian main course which was very tasty, and my wife had the guinea fowl, which she said was fantastic.

The meal was rounded off with two delicious dessert wines, one white and one red, to complement some amazing puds.

The service was really very good - nothing too much trouble. The bill was £100 for two people - steep but for such a great experience we did not resent it.

• French

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Refined