What a disappointment

Bob15M's review of Hayter Harrier 48

Hayter Harrier 48

“What a disappointment”

Written on: 04/06/2013 by Bob15M (1 review written)

Having moved house with a large but unkempt garden I had a lawn laid this spring. My trusty 5 year old mower could no longer cope with the 1500 sq mtr lawn and so I decided it was time to upgrade an invest in a new mower that could cope with a large lawn.

2 friends independently recommended a Hayter (they had both had theirs for 10 years+) so I went to a local dealer who convinced me the Hayter Harrier 48 was the rolls Royce of lawn mowers for larger lawns. Now and again you have to treat. Yourself so I made the investment.

My grass was long (but dry) so I set it on the 3rd lowest setting. After 5 metres I realised it was scalping the lawn so I set it a notch higher. I carried on and after 40 metres grass started spewing out of the side of the mower. I took off the bag which was only half full, the rest of the grass was in the gap where it flows into the bag.

I had to empty the bag every time I went up or down the lawn. Then half way through mowing on one of my many restarts the start cord stuck and would not pull. I tried several times but still it was stuck.

So I got my trusty old mower out to finish the job. I then read in a troubleshooting post that this can happen if grass clogs in the blade and low and behold this is what had happened.

I will try again next weekend having read these are common problems. Same old thing these days, they don't make them like they used to with companies relying on reputation rather than quality.

• Petrol/Gas