Looks good, but a heap of junk

AshteadDave's review of Hayter Harrier 48

Hayter Harrier 48

“Looks good, but a heap of junk”

Written on: 19/10/2011 by AshteadDave (1 review written)

I have 3 other Hayter mowers for my gardening business, so in June, I paid £880 for the 48 Pro.
the first time used, I noticed that it appeared sluggish and the drive cable caught in my trousers and popped off, so took it back to the supplier who re-attached the cable.
I used it again but found it un-acceptably slow compared with my other Hayter mowers, so again took it back to the supplier, convinced that the forward drive speed must need adjustment. He increased the engine speed to near 'red line', but I still found it slow so complained directly to Hayter.
They said that the new machine has been slowed from 3.0 to 2.7 mph to stop it failing to pick up grass when the motor has been set to rev higher than design. Although this lower speed doesn’t seem much, it is noticeable over large lawns.
I complained to Hayter who (eventually) agreed to fit larger gears & pulleys.
My supplier carried out this work and the machine appeared to be an acceptable speed. On it's first day of use, the drive stopped working. Again I complained to Hayter, who said take it back for repair where the supplier informed me that the gearbox had broken and this regularly happens with them. I spoke to a gardener that I passed one day who had one, who also said that his gearbox broke after a few weeks of use.
Once fixed, I have been using it for the past few weeks and again today, the drive cable appears to have snapped, so it will need to go back to the supplier again.
At one point in August, it had cut 8 lawns, but been back to the supplier for tweaks and repairs on 4 occasions.

• Petrol/Gas