Stunning & Fast

• Battery Life

DigitalLandReviews's review of Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1DN

Toshiba Satellite L50-A-1DN

“Stunning and Fast”

Written on: 27/04/2014 by DigitalLandReviews (2 reviews written)

I bought a beautiful white Satellite L50-A-1DN (i5, 1tb, 8gb ram, windows 8.1, caps-lock and num-lock lights, nvidia GT740m) from the Toshiba.co.uk website recently for £599, and it's the best laptop I've ever owned, I highly recommend it!!

I use it for word processing, web browsing, graphic design stuff, DVDs, and some basic gaming (e.g. GTA).

Starts up so fast, between 5 - 10 seconds. Battery life about 4 hours. Obviously it's going to be less if you're watching DVDs or playing a game. But 4 hours is the standard for most laptops these-days. Although I'd only use the battery if I was at a friends house with it, or maybe on a plane. Otherwise, I tend to leave the AC adaptor plugged in.

It's not touchscreen, which is what I wanted, as I dont like touchscreens at all. In my opinion, touchscreens should only be for tablets. And you dont need a touchscreen for Windows.

If there was anything to point out, which may classify as a very minor downside to some, is that it has a bit of a reflective screen, but this is like all laptops these-days. To counter-act reflection, today I'm going to buy an anti-glare screen protector from Ebay for a fiver (search for these exact words on ebay: Anti-Glare Screen Protector 15.6 Toshiba L50). But if the anti-glare from ebay doesnt work, I dont care, because I'm incredibly happy with the laptop already :-)

I had previously ordered an Asus N56VZ i7, but I sent it back because: I wasnt happy with the sheer mass of visible fingerprints all over the weirdly finished cover; I wasnt happy with the metallic casing, which felt stone-cold when I was typing/resting my hands near the mouse; the Asus mouse clickpad is beyond terrible; I couldnt turn off the HD, as I didnt want HD on some DVDs.

On the Toshiba L50-A-1DN, you can turn off the HD on DVDs if you want (using the Toshiba video player), which is a great little extra!

To turn off HD on a specific DVD, insert the DVD, let the DVD load up the Toshiba Video Player, then hover your mouse over the top of the video player to bring up a row of 5 icons. Click the icon next to the gear icon (looks like an arrow with a plus sign). This turns the HD resolution on or off.

Toshiba L50-A-1DN = 10/10