Howdens kitchens, why expect everything in the box

Guest's review of Howdens Kitchens - www.howdens.com

“Howdens kitchens, why expect everything in the box”

Written on: 15/07/2013

Lets follow this in order,
The design, they will design what you want, irrelevant of if it will work, want a wine rack next to a washing machine, fine, but they don't tell you there is nothing for it to fix to as it has no legs.
Would you like to fix the legs to the units rather than rely on gravity? If so you will need to buy some extra screws then.
Want everything to arrive at the same time? Don't be silly they are not IKEA.
Shelving kit come with fittings, Nope, they expect you to have the fancy cam fitting screws, as everyone has them hanging around.
Now to finish, don't get me wrong once all the doors are on it will look nice, but then so does my IKEA study furniture, the difference being although the IKEA came flatpacked it took a lot less time as everything fitted and everything was included. In short, its no better than an IKEA kit and in many ways worse. AVOID, there must be so many shortcuts in the way its put together if it was done quickly I would be fearful of the build quality.

Balancedopinion's Comment

Written on: 16/07/2013

In my experience, any professional kitchen fitter will have the fittings you mention at hand, because they know what they're doing and are prepared. If you've had a plan done that doesn't work, you should have checked through it with the designer before ordering; they know by and large what will work and what won't, depending on their experience, but they are not kitchen fitters like me, therefore I check what they've planned and ask them to alter anything that I think won't work well. I get the impression that you are not a kitchen fitter, more perhaps a diy kind of person, so I'm not surprised you had difficulty, this is not like putting up a shelf you know!

Muppet_Kitchen's Comment

Written on: 16/07/2013

I take your point of the fittings, even if they are proprietary some people may have spares.
The design however, I would expect them to know and highlight any potential clashes. I know that they are ideally sold only to kitchen fitters and I can only assume that's because experienced kitchen fitters know how to get around all the issues with what they are provided, where as it was something unexpected for me.

Balancedopinion's Comment

Written on: 16/07/2013

Still the vast majority of their designers know their stuff and perhaps you've been unfortunate on this occasion. To be fair I've used Howdens for nearly ten years (not including a year I spent abroad recently) and I've had no issues really; the few problems I have had, have been sorted immediately. But I would say always check the plan over yourself, just to be 110%, and if you're not totally sure, ask a professional to look over it for you, just in case. Belt and braces!