Never again

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

SLNV's review of Crab and Winkle, Whitstable

“Never again”

Written on: 28/04/2012 by SLNV (1 review written)

Myself my wife and two kids went to this restaurant in the hope of good fresh fish. Starter was Oysters for me and dressed crab for wife and kids. My wife's dressed crab had a fishy taste (like it had old fish juice on it rather than fresh crab) and the bread tasted old and was stale. On flagging this to the waiter he apologised and took it back to the kitchen ( I too agreed it was not fresh, family business is fish monger and I am a game boat captain so we do know our stuff!), on his return from the kitchen he said that the chef said the crab is fine and the bread was baked fresh today and no offer of a fresh dish.... Well, if they did not want to listen they clearly didn't, poor kitchen, front of house was young and inexperienced, so DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY HERE.
So we will not be returning and will be spreading the news to fellow fish lovers that this is not a place to eat, I can imagine that if you had oysters for starter and a fish main it may pass as OK, but for what it is its totally over priced and the chef obviously has not got a clue and is rude.

• British

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Casual