Total Incompetence

Guest's review of First Direct Internet Banking www.firstdirect.com

“Total Incompetence”

Written on: 28/06/2012

This bank gets rave reviews from all and sundry. God knows why. This is a totally useless and incompetent organisation and is completely unworthy of its reputation. Perhaps at one time the reputation may have been deserved - I've been a customer for many years but over the last couple of years the service has gone t**s up. The latest fiasco - Monday morning 25/06/12, logged on to check First a/c, found it £8500 overdrawn. I've run both personal and business bank a/cs for 45 years and have NEVER EVER been overdrawn. The reason - some turkey had made a phantom withdrawal of £10k, completely unauthorised. Rang to complain. The response - they told me I'd a withdrawal on the internet. My internet access is 'read only'. It then took 'em 2 hours to investigate and admit their error. Finger trouble apparently. That's the best explanation they can come up with. What really bugs me is that the initial response is to blame the customer. Utterly useless. Even worse than the infamous Banco Santander.

Awax10's Comment

Written on: 29/06/2012

I bank with First Direct, Halifax & Barclays. First directs service and support is fantastic compared to these other two. Before anyone changes bank I would sugest they call the call center five times each at various times and seee how long it takes to get hold of someone who understands your problem. If we all used banks with UK only call centers service would improve because demoralised staff would feel valued. Working under the constant threat of redundancy is a great way of destroying staff moral & customer service.

Jgrumpy's Comment

Written on: 02/07/2012

I have a/cs with over 20 financial organisations inc Barclays & Halifax and would agree with Awax10's assessment of them. Halifax deducted income tax from my ISA a/c interest last yr and then couldn't understand why I'd complained! Honestly, you couldn't make it up.I also have had a/cs with Santander who are notorious for incompetence. BUT ONLY FIRST DIRECT HAS EVER SENT ME INTO OVERDRAFT AND THEN TRIED TO BLAME ME. ABSOLUTELY UNFORGIVABLE.
jgrumpy