carerra commuting capers

Guest's review of Carrera Crossfire

Carrera Crossfire

“carerra commuting capers”

Written on: 03/05/2012

Got my crossfire 1000 about 7 years ago. while the frame is reasonably light I have found on my daily 8 mile return commute a number of difficulties over the years. Bear in mind there have been good length s of time where the bike has not been used a lot. Good points ; it rides well, is reasonably sturdy and access via all the quick release bolts to wheels and stem is good. Suspension has packed in over the years and while the forks have proved sturdy the suspension has never impressed me. Gears are twistgrip- these were poor and vague. Numerous service appointments did nothing to improve them. I am now on flick switch type gear shift which is better. Gears do go out of synch with very regular monotony. Brakes are adequate only. Crank bearings have worn out once.Both wheel bearings done once. I have had 4 wheels on the bike due to pot hole encounters.Rear cog and chain needed replacement once, tyres are next to useless in town get the puncture resistant and save the agg. I find it was a little undergeared on down hills so if you need to be travelling at a pace consider a different ratio rear cog.It has lasted well in all weathers frame wise and still looks really well. I paid close on £300 for mine and looking back in those days I think it was dear.
Best bit? sturdy on the whole in all weathers reliable. Worst? those gear shifters- never really had a decent gear change regardless of tinkerings in all the years I had it.