Family Unfriendly

• Facilities

• Location

Tabernus's review of Travelodge

“Family Unfriendly”

Written on: 16/11/2012 by Tabernus (1 review written)

After attending a wedding we arrived to check in to our room with our three year old son (which we had booked and paid for two months earlier) to discover they had already given it to someone else, they hadn't bothered to ring to tell us or make any alternative arrangements. We stood in their reception as the receptionist rang around at 10pm on a Saturday night to find us alternative accommodation. When accommodation was found the receptionist lied to me about how far away it was which meant that I took his word it would be a 'short' journey and didn't get the car seat for our toddler from our car - the 'short' journey turned out to be 25mins in a mini-cab taxi on duel carriageways with my child unrestrained!! I am so upset by this I struggle to put it into words.

When we finally arrived at the new hotel close to midnight they had been told that we needed two double rooms - this wasn't suitable for a three year old so we said we'd take just one room. They managed to muster up a mattress to put on the floor for him and a duvet and pillow with no cover or pillowcases. The room was serviceable at best, the bathroom was mouldy and fairly minging.

The next morning my partner tried to take our son to the male toilets by the reception area to find them smeared all over with excrement. Added to all the upheaval of the previous night I don't think my son will ever want to stay in a hotel again! When my partner told a member of staff about the toilet she essentially shrugged and said she hadn't had time to clean the mens toilets yet . . this was past 11am!!

When we tried to get a taxi back to the town we should have been staying in (for we were now at a travelodge some 8 miles away) it took nearly an hour to arrange and when it did arrive it again had no child car seat suitable for my son. All this faff meant we missed the planned meal we were due to be having and our nice relaxing Sunday spent exploring a city we'd never been to ended up hellish in a horrible travelodge and just trying to get back to where we started from.

I complained to travelodge about the shoddy experience we had received and they didn't even bother to reply, I just got an email offering me £36 in evouchers to use at their hotels. They have to be kidding, we won't ever be staying in their hotel again and I expect a proper refund.

This trip was supposed to be a big adventure for my son, his first night in a hotel . . . travelodge left him scared that we wouldn't have anywhere to stay late at night and then upset that he was traveling in a vehicle with no car seat. They have ruined what should have been special and they can't even be bothered to say sorry.

• Birmingham Moor Street/Walsall