Dont book online

• Facilities

• Location

seancronin's review of Travelodge

“Dont book online”

Written on: 24/07/2012 by seancronin (1 review written)

Don't book online as it has a massive fault that could cost you money and Travellodge wont refund you.

Last friday I tried to book accomodation for a room in London 3 days later. I typed in the details, including the correct date. As I was tired and it being 11.45 at night, I missed a couple of boxes and noted that the date had reverted back to the default date of that day. Correcting the date, I moved on to the payment details but I'd typed them in wrong... correcting that as normal the booking succeeded for the hotel room THAT DAY!

OK, their website isn't perfect and I made a mistake. Should be no problem to just move the booking to a different day? I'm afraid not. As it was past midnight their website wouldn't let me cancel a booking in the past so I rang customer services the next morning. It took 20 minutes to get through (beware 0870 number.. quite expensive). The call centre told me he couldn't cancel the booking. I've emailed Travellodge (with no reply) and am hoping a complaint letter will follow.

Ignoring the poor customer service for a minute, there are two major problems that you must remember if you are booking online:

- Unlike every other reputable website I have used or help to build, when the credit card details are typed in incorrectly, the remainder of the session details do not remain the same, you must check every box really carefully.
- If you do book accidently for today, you wont get the date changed even if it is one of the higher cost flexible rate rooms if booked after midday. This is extremely poor practice of course.

I'm all for the no frills hotels at a reasonable cost, but companies that offer terrible customer services and worst practice online bookings should be boycotted.

You can book by dialing the 0870, but it will cost you £2 extra (plus the premium call rate).

Having worked in the IT industry for 12 years (including building websites for several other organisations in the travel indusctry) the travelodge website shows two examples of stunningly bad design