Great Outlook Sync Tool

• Quality

JohnTok's review of Outlook SimpleSYN

Outlook SimpleSYN

“Great Outlook Sync Tool”

Written on: 10/11/2011 by JohnTok (1 review written)

At home I use an ordinary Dell pc; at the university and on the train I prefer something smaller and lighter, so here an Asus netbook is my companion. As I write lots of e-mails daily; make many notes and appointments, I have been using Outlook as my e-mail client for years. All in all I’m very happy with it. At the moment I’m using Outlook 2010 on both computers.

Here comes the problem: I need synchronized data, which means that appointments I make or e-mails I receive on my desktop pc at night need to be on my netbook the next morning. Vice versa, at night I’d like to transfer data I entered into the Outlook on my netbook during the day to the other computer without any effort. But how do I synchronize the data? Of course I could always transfer the Outlook data with my USB stick or copy the entire PST file from one computer to the other – very time-consuming and exhausting.

So I googled and after a few minutes I found a few interesting Outlook Sync tools. I was a bit surprised, though, because seemingly there’s no freeware for this purpose. Well, if the software is good and meets my expectations, I’m more than willing to pay a few euros for a decent synchronization program. I didn’t look further into programs that cost more than 30 euros, though. After all, I didn’t want to spend that much money.

Finally I tested some programs which according to the description promised an automatic synchronization of the Outlook data. All programs cost between 29 and 50 euros.

SimpleSYN by German manufacturer creativbox.net, which can be tested free of charge for 30 days, was the tool I liked best. I especially like that it’s really easy to use, allowing inexperienced users to start right away. The installation on both computers and the following configuration with the help of a setup wizard took only a few moments. During the setup you are able to pick the folders that from now on are to be synced. You can either choose to synchronize the complete Outlook database or you can select individual folders. As I only need to synchronize the inbox, the calendar and the notes, I selected only these folders to be synchronized.
That’s about it. After the configuration the tool starts the so-called initial synchronization and combines the data. As soon as you receive an e-mail or change an appointment on one of the computers the tool automatically synchronizes the data on the other pc.

You won’t find a “start sync” button or anything of the sort. Once you change something the sync will start automatically in the background. One thing that is especially important to me is to be able to continue working with Outlook as usual. There’s no need to close Outlook to allow the synchronization.

As the tool had been reliably synchronizing my data over several days and I was also pleased with the rest of the functions I decided to buy the program a few days ago. I purchased the standard version for 39 euros and was able to negotiate a student discount. This version provides synchronization via network, which is absolutely sufficient for my purposes. There’s also a business version which conducts the synchronization over the internet.

• Quality