A great home gym

trampjuice's review of York 2001 Multi Gym

York 2001 Multi Gym

“A great home gym”

Written on: 21/04/2013 by trampjuice (3 reviews written)

I had used this gym very frequently while depressed and unemployed for 6 months in my 20s.
It was very very effective.
It gives a great total body workout - all major muscle groups in one session when starting out (legs, lat pulls, benchpress, squat).
It was a very great effort to lift half the stack when I started (At 6 foot tall I weighted 11st).
The range of compound muscle exercises is great with the machine - This matters a lot time wise. Importantly - You can do the king of exercises - the Squat, (targeting massive leg muscles buttocks, quads, back), and then balance legs out by doing hamstring pulls.
You can do good bench presses (your shoulder muscles and triceps are also targeted), you can do Lat pull downs (back, biceps, even abs if you crunch with a towel). Pully rows - (Back, biceps).

I didn't even use the chest press which actually didn't come with mine (being 2nd hand).

After about 9 months I had gained a lot of muscle. I weighted over 13 st something and was doing very effective split training - all on the machine (legs one day, upper body the next) - I could lift the full stack easily by that stage - but I simply increased the sets from 3 to 4. I did eventually find the 120lb weight stack too limiting - but that was after a full year of using the machine, and after gaining over 28lbs of muscle!

The sheer range of exercises with this machine is hard to find with ANY other home gym. The only downside I found was the messing around changing the cables and barbells over.

It is still one of the best gyms ever I used IMO. Its now about 20 years on - and in early middle age I find I weigh about 16 stone, mainly bubber. It used to be that I was depressed and thought I could not ever put on weight and fill out a suit whatever I did - now its all too easy! I also had high blood pressure diagnosed, so HAVE to exercise about 3 stone of fat off.

Luckly, It's not as duanting a jobs as when I first started thinking I was a 150 lb weed and knew nothing and had to study to learn the proper form of each exercise etc... Its just the time, (and being more jaded and less passionate than when younger) thats less available nowadays!

I recently bought a Marcy Gym 2nd hand on the classifieds which looked great from the picture - but was horrified to find you can only do upper body and lats pulldowns. Squats, Leg curls etc.. forget it!

The main attacks on this machine are the limited weight stack of 140lbs. But in reality not many people other than dreamers are going to find this a real limit. The messing about with cables etc.. means a huge range of exercises are available to you which more than makes up for the hassle.

It really is one of the best home gyms ever.