I am rating the MC 10T, which is the replacment for the 10L

• Sound Quality

Guest's review of Yaqin MC 10L 52

Yaqin MC 10L 52

“I am rating the MC 10T, which is the replacment for...”

Written on: 14/10/2012

I have the Yaqin MC10T, which is almost identical to the 10L, except for the tubes, which are 12AT7 for the signal amp / phase splitter, and EL34B for the power tubes.
Running the stock tubes into a pair of Altec Lansing 305 vintage speakers gives incredible results. I had been for years running a vintage MacIntoch MAC1600 from the late 60's as my favorite amp for music. Not anymore. The MAC is now collecting dust while I ponder if I should hang onto it, or take some "suckers" money. The difference between my classic MAC and the new Yaqin was night and day. It sounds twice as good as amps costing 4x as much. I intend to try some different tubes in it, but I haven't found fault with the OEM tubes, soI will likely leave these ones in it for awhile. One thing to note, new tubes require a burn in period and after the initial 100 or so hours I rebiased, and it made all the difference in the world. Also which speaker tap you use also affects sound. My speakers are rated 6 ohm. The amp has only a 4 and 8 tap. The 4 ohm tap yields much better bass than the 8. A good rule of thumb for tube gear is to use the closest setting for less than your speakers. For 6 ohm, the 4 tap or 8 will do because the impedience is fairly close, but for 16 ohm speakers the 8 is the only one to use. The lower ohm tap will result in less voltage to teh speaker, but more current, which is required for lower impedience speakers. Another word of warning, never operate a tube amp without speakers or you can blow your output transformers due to very high voltages formed in the secondary arcing over the insulation and shroting the winding.

• 1 - 6 Months