Churchill Canada - Bears & Belugas

Guest's review of Canada Polar Bears - www.canadapolarbears.com

“Churchill Canada - Bears & Belugas”

Written on: 17/08/2013

During the second week of August my wife and I spent five days in Churchill Manitoba. The weather was cold, windy and rainy (no bugs though) and we loved every minute. Even though summer is definitely off season for polar bears, we did see several, including a female and two cubs eating a whale carcass. Due to the weather and cloud cover, we only saw the northern lights one night. The definite star of a summer visit to Churcill are the Beluga whales. We saw hundreds if not thousands frorm small observation boats, an experience only surpassed by the kayaking and snorkeling. The thrill of being in the water and seeing a two thousand pound animal glide by a few feet away is simply indescribable. After hearing my stories and seeing the videos and pictures, all four of my kids are planning trips of their own.

We stayed at the Lazy Bear Lodge where the staff was extremely accommodating and the food was much better than we were expecting for so remote of a location.. The owner personnally conducted several of the boat tours.

While we had been warned of the bugs, we did not have any problems thanks to the bad weather and strong winds.

Definitely not a place if you prefer luxury resorts. But if you like wildlife and in particular would enjoy the adrenalin rush from swimming with a beluga whale then you cannot do better.

• August 6-10, 2013