Flexible light weight but un-reliable

From 1 review

Guest's review of Gtech HT05 Li-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer

Gtech HT05 Li-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer

“Flexible light weight but un-reliable ”

Written on: 04/11/2012

I bought the Gtech HT05 Li-Ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Amazon as I have 100 + ft of 10 ft high hedge and needed a long reach cutter with no trailing flex. I wanted to avoid petrol power so thought cordless would be good as I own a good Bosch cordless strimmer. The Gtech was suggested to me as it is light weight and the L Ion battery is in the bottom of the machine so you don't have to raise what is the heaviest part above shoulder height.

My experience mirrors some other reviews of earlier machines.
Good points:-

Light weight, quiet, able to cut stems up to approx 0.5cm thick, runs for approx 45 mins before needing charging, flexible cutting blade that can be angled from straight to approx 45 degrees forward or backwards for difficult angles and top of hedge. Despite the amount of hedge I had to cut - with organisation (I cut for 45 mins, then shredded whilst the trimmer recharged, then cut for another 45 mins), the machine coped well except tough or thick stems where I used loppers.

Bad point

Only one but a "deal breaker"- after almost completing all my hedge cutting, the machine stopped accepting a charge. To explain - the charger has a red light to indicate it is charging which turns green when fully charged. This time, the light didn't come on at all, but it seemed there was some power. This soon was used up so I tried to charge again. - Again no light. I called the Gtech helpline who sent a replacement charger. This time a green light came on immediately - but the machine still didn't work. This time Gtech said they couldn’t help and to return it to Amazon.
Amazon has offered to refund my money as they didn't have any more stock. I will now go for a petrol machine
I have since learnt that the above is a common issue and if the machine runs out of power and you try it a little later - it will work for a short while and then fail and not take any more charge. - Not a reliable or acceptable characteristic.

This is a shame as otherwise - the machine is a useful and cost effective tool.