An absloute masterpiece

owdrums's review of Tool, Lateralus

Tool, Lateralus

“An absloute masterpiece”

Written on: 09/06/2011 by owdrums (5 reviews written)

This is an album I have owned for many years, and one I keep coming back to. I had a few albums by the band before this came out but none of their work really stood out like this album does. I personally think it is one of the best albums I have ever listened to, not just as a "progressive rock/metal" album but as an overall piece of work by any band of the last couple of decades.

The tracks flow together seamlessly, from the epic masterpiece first track right through to the end of the album, nothing seems strained or pretentious even considering the complex nature of the music. I really think this is a classic album, worth a listen from anyone interested in the deeper aspects of music.

It is an album that transcends genres, weaves in and out between crushing heaviness, lush sparse soundscapes and thundering rhythms with amazing ease, showcasing a band on absolutely top form. The musicianship is astounding, particularly the drummer, who apparently put to use many years studying Indian polyryhthms on this album, blending them with modern metal in a way that, to my knowledge had never been done before.

Hopefully this will help a few people to enjoy an album which is definitely very special.