Sanotint - Better than PPD dyes but not perfect

Guest's review of Sanotint Light

Sanotint Light

“Sanotint - Better than PPD dyes but not perfect”

Written on: 24/04/2012

I have not had an allergic reaction to PPD but I was growing concerned at the amount of heavy metals I was putting on to my hair, especially as I am quite grey now and need to use darker dyes much more frequently.

I went for the light version of Sanotint rather than Classic because I wanted to try something without any PPD at all and see how it went. The colour choice for dark hair is limited. So far I have tried mahogony and chestnut. I find it a fiddle to mix the colour and fixative in a bowl rather than what I am used to with other dyes (having them combined in a plastic applicator) First couple of times my head felt fine but the most recent time when I was just touching up my grey roots, my whole scalp started stinging and I had to rinse it all off before it had taken. SO disappointed and won't risk using again. Three days later and my head still itches.

Pros of this are that it colours fairly well without the worry of PPDs (but beware, there is something in here that can cause itching if you are sensitive). Also I liked the fact you could save the colour and come back to use it for root retouching. You can also mix colours within the range to get your own unique shade.
Cons - quite expensive and takes a while for the colour to develop.