Was told my account was cancelled - it wasn't: still charged

karen852's review of Fitness First

Fitness First

“Was told my account was cancelled - it wasn't: still...”

Written on: 19/09/2011 by karen852 (1 review written)

I signed up to Fitness First's 'Black' membership, which meant I was allowed to use any of their gyms. I went for a couple months and started to go less often. One day in early December, I decided to use the gym next to my work (Hammersmith), rather than the one next to home where I signed up.

Upon entering, I was told my membership had been cancelled and therefore would have to renew my account with them, however, the man let me in on a 'trial' pass and I went along my way. I was off on holiday for the next month (December, Jan) and then came back to the UK.

I found out in February that I was still being charged. I quickly called up the club I joined (London Bridge) and asked them about it, and they said that my membership hadn't been cancelled at all. Apparently, I should have "known that [my] membership hadn't been cancelled because in the terms and conditions it states that you must write to cancel", and that I shouldn't have "believed the member of staff, as this was clearly wrong information".

I then called up Head Office, whom I spoke to regarding this. They said that I would have to speak to my home club (London Bridge). I called London Bridge up again and they said it wasn't their issue, it was Hammersmith's, and to go in there. So, I went into Hammersmith, who, guess what, told me I had to speak to my home club at London Bridge. The member of staff I spoke to at London Bridge was EXTREMELY rude and told me not to call him back because this wasn't his issue and that if I did call him back he would just tell me to speak to Hammersmith (and when I did, told me to speak to London Bridge).

I rang up Head Office and spoke to them about it and explained that a member of their staff told me that my membership was cancelled. She rudely interupted and told me that it "wasn't their staff at all" and that head office had no responsbility for the staff at the clubs.

I ended up going into the Hammersmith branch every day for a week on my lunch breaks, trying to get someone to do something. At this stage, I had been charged £56 for December (where I only went the one time), January and February.

I was then told that they would, as "a gesture of goodwill", cancel my membership from March, without me writing in. How kind.

I would recommend that anyone thinking of joining a gym joins a DIFFERENT one, because Fitness First are absolutely useless, as you can see by the range of terrible reviews for this company. It's generally all good until you have to encounter their customer service and cancellation team... absolute waste of money. I'm so unimpressed I'm writing a review for them in September, 6 months later, as I'm still raging.

Save yourselves and join a gym that cares!