Beware of cancellation policy

ajay0708's review of David Lloyd Leisure Health Club - www.davidlloyd.co.uk

David Lloyd Leisure Health Club - www.davidlloyd.co.uk

“Beware of cancellation policy”

Written on: 15/11/2013 by ajay0708 (1 review written)

When my wife and I signed up at this Gym we paid a year in advance. We signed a contract, but didn't read the small print. We were not told that our membership would be automatically rolled over into another year and we were not told that we had to give three months notice if we wanted to cancel. We were not given a Membership Handbook. A few weeks ago I received a letter saying that our membership fee had risen by over £300 to over £1,700 for off-peak. I immediately cancelled. I only discovered the three month notice rule by reading it on a forum. Although I cancelled with three months notice, they are threatening me with debt collectors for money I don't think I owe and have said the debtwill increase by £70 as an administration fee will be added. I'm not sure what the outcome of this will be, but I do know one thing - they decieved me when I joined and they are aggressive now I want to leave. Beware - read the small print before signing anything.

Rogerforte's Response to ajay0708's Review

Written on: 29/11/2013

Yes the exact same thing has happened to me with Harpers leisure centre in Downham, I sign up for a 12 month contract, ended up staying for 13 months then cancelled my contract and have been bomb-barded with harrassing texts and phone calls asking for an additional months payment.

I have sent emails and letters to the head office but all they keep saying is its in the terms and conditions, to make matters worse the gym was closed for two weeks for updating, but they still took my monthly payment even though i could not use them gym?

Japeas's Response to ajay0708's Review

Written on: 30/11/2013

Hi
Was looking through the internet for people having similar problems to us and found this. Ours was cancelled in September for December but they say they have no record of it. Can I ask how your situation resolved itself?

Ajay0708's reply to Japeas's Comment

Written on: 30/11/2013

I've had my dispute over money settled by David Lloyd. They admit they made a mistake. However, I remain unhappy that I was not told my membership would roll over or that I needed to give three month notice. I've written to them, complaining, and I'm waiting for a response. I may write to the Office of Fair Trading about them. I can tell you that when they thought I owed them money they were threatening me with debt collectors from day one and I was then harassed with phone calls and emails.