Shocking company..shocking customer care

Guest's review of David Lloyd Leisure Health Club - www.davidlloyd.co.uk

David Lloyd Leisure Health Club - www.davidlloyd.co.uk

“Shocking company..shocking customer care”

Written on: 08/06/2013

I joined 1 year ago and decided to pay up front as I was not going to be in the area for very long. 11 months in I had the usual calls and emails asking if I wanted to carry on, to which I replied "no...this was only a temporary solution for me as I explained when I joined but thanks for calling". 1 month after my 12 month contract has expired I get a letter from a debt collector asking me for 99 pounds on a balance on 385.85. I call the gym and ask what it was for as I had told the membership people I was leaving, she said that I needed to write while I was in my 12 month period of contract in order to get a 1 month notice. Now I was outside that time it would be 3 months not including the month I had currently started. I was of course furious as it seemed to me that the staff have been told purposely that if someone is leaving not to inform them of the small print in the contract which to me would have been a common courtesy and good manners, but no. I don't find this to be normal behaviour so wondered why or what was behind it.....

I then looked into the company, this is half owned by Band of Scotland and the other half by the London and Regional or the Reubens brothers who bought it in 2007 and no doubt saddled it with debt in order to buy it. Some reports say up to 300m. What is really annoying is they just don't care what happens to it as they have the bank, due to the size of the sum, and therefore the taxpayer over a barrel so it is hardly surprising as I read similar reviews to my own. It also wouldn't surprise me if this company is offshore and pays little tax but will still require an indirect bailout/refi from the purse they don't contribute too..W**kers.

I wonder how long this gym brand will be around........Maybe as long as the racecourses this family has bought and closed in order to develop as housing.