Ipswich DL

mark252071's review of David Lloyd Leisure Health Club - www.davidlloyd.co.uk

David Lloyd Leisure Health Club - www.davidlloyd.co.uk

“Ipswich DL”

Written on: 11/03/2013 by mark252071 (1 review written)

The disgusting customer service at David Lloyd is legendary. My wife and I both paid our membership fees a year up front by credit card to secure a discount. She had to cancel for medical reasons and so gave the months notice required by the contract. DL don't believe members who give notice for medical reasons and demand a confirmation letter from doctors. Because her Dr didn't produce the letter quickly enough, DL said the notice period would have to start from the beginning of the next month after the drs letter was received. They then made me responsible for the additional months notice in dispute for my wife as I was the primary member. On principle I didn't pay the additional month they wanted so they kept stopping me as I entered the gym as a kind of hassle strategy to get me to pay. Eventually when this didn't work and neither did rude telephone calls from their head office, Katherine from the club rang to ban me from the gym even though I had paid all my member fees upfront and had another 6 months to run. I contacted my credit card company who were willing to get involved but then after several emails, the club relented and cancelled my wife's "debt". Actually their new terms state that the doctors letter does not have to be produced at the same time as the notice. I pointed this out in a complaint to the local gym and the manager wasnt interested. I forwarded the complaint to head office and they completely ignored it. This is what you get when you try to engage DL in any kind of customer service issue, they don't give a damn. The only time they're interested is when they want you to hand over money. The office of fair trading has had to intervene in gym contracts because many are unfair so don't just accept it when they say these are the terms and conditions that you have signed because by law they must be fair in order to be enforceable. On the plus side, I thought the facilities at the club were good and it's a pity that the experience is ruined by arrogant and rude customer service.

Savvygymuser's Response to mark252071's Review

Written on: 14/03/2013

Hi, do you think it's unreasonable to expect a doctors note to prove an illness that stops you training? I'm sorry to hear that your wife had some medical problems, but suppose she was just trying to wangle out of her gym contract? As several thousand people must do at each gym every year.

Last time I checked DL was a legitimate business, looking to make money.

DL do conform to the OFT standards with their gym contracts (They are one of the few who do!) which actually only covers the length of time a contract can be for, not valid reasons for cancelling early.