Pro Rider Golf Trolley - value for money?

Duganek82's review of Pro Rider Electric Golf Trolley

Pro Rider Electric Golf Trolley

“Pro Rider Golf Trolley - value for money?”

Written on: 28/06/2014 by Duganek82 (1 review written)

I recently wrote the following letter to the ProRider Customer Service Manager:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro Rider Golf Trolley - £199.00 – purchased 28-2-2011

Dear Sir,

I play golf twice a week or less throughout the year. I purchased the above trolley in February 2011, and for the first 12 months I was very happy with it. Just after 12 months a clutch went, and that was kindly replaced without charge by yourselves. However, within the last 12 months or so, I have had to replace a pair of wheel treads as one of the originals split causing it to roll continually off the wheel. Also, I had to buy a couple of wheels as one of the clips which holds the wheel on to the axle wore away, resulting in the wheel falling off. These clips could be sold for a few pounds I'm sure. Since then a second clutch has broken – I am still awaiting delivery of that. Also, I recently had to replace the battery, with a new Pro Rider battery which I bought off Ebay. Incidentally, the new battery didn't fit the original battery bag, which I have had to just throw away.

A couple of weeks ago, I was playing in heavy rain, and the electrics went haywire. I could switch the trolley on and off, but I couldn't control the speed. It developed a mind of its own, but typically would only travel on the number 1 setting which is far too slow to be useable. I managed to struggle around and finish on that day. Today, my first round after the heavy rainfall, the trolley started okay but then I couldn't stop it with the normal start/stop button. Incidentally, the plastic cover on this button has long since cracked, and the switch has become difficult to activate cleanly every time. On today's round, I had to switch off the trolley with the power on/off button. After that I couldn't start the trolley at all, and had to ditch it in favour of a golf club push trolley.

As you can imagine, I am no longer happy with my Pro Rider trolley. I would appreciate your comments on the above and whether you think this is acceptable for a 3 year old trolley. I personally do not think it is acceptable. I bought the trolley on the basis of your comments on your website about customer care and after sales service, but it would seem that your product is not particularly serviceable without pouring in good money after bad.

If this is typical, I would doubt that you will be able to sustain a golf trolley business, given the ease with which poor reviews can spread quickly on social media.

Given its relative age, and the amount of money I have recently spent on it, only to end up with a still unusable trolley, I propose that you offer to take it back for a service at your expense.

I look forward to your comments,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the response I received from ProRider:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have received your letter thank you for taking the time in sending us your comments, we always try to improve our services and customers feedback helps strive to make it better.

I can see you have a trouble free period with your Golf Cart along with one or two niggles, which we have helped you along the way.

We are available for assistance at the end of the phone, and most parts are readily available and easy self-fit.

Warranty periods for items are strictly adhered to meaning your One year cover as standard will come to an end of this period.

Anything outside of the standard cover would undermine the customers whom have paid to Extend their warranty and make this very unfair.

Our Trolleys do represent excellent value for money.

If you would like to call me I may be able to achieve a discount for you on a new Trolley as a goodwill gesture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I later replaced the old Trolley with a discounted Motocaddy S1. I can't say how serviceable the new trolly will be, but I do know that using it is like driving a BMW compared to the ProRider.

You can make your mind up as to whether or not the Pro Rider is value for money. I'm still not sure whether I was expecting too much.

Djkn's Comment

Written on: 29/07/2014

I am a customer & I agree 100% with what is said here I am afraid it was false economy on my part which led me to replace my 8 year old Hill Billy with the Pro Rider. Having previously already replaced the control switch I am now in the process of fitting new clutches to the wheels but have just noticed one wheel keeps falling off so looks like I would need to replace that wheel. Don't think I will I will just by a new trolley (not from Pro Rider), bottom line you get what you pay for which in this instance wasn't much.