Problems with S1 & quality of service

ianb281's review of Motocaddy S1

Motocaddy S1

“Problems with S1 and quality of service”

Written on: 01/05/2012 by ianb281 (1 review written)

My S1 is 2 years old. I have had a series of problems associated with the On/Off switch and Control Box. It has taken three visits to their HQ near Stansted Airport to get it fixed. They seem qick to diagnose and replace parts without thoroughly investigating the cause of the problem in the first place and then fail to test the repair adequately to make sure that the fault has been eradicated.

I have also found that the motor and gearbox is not well supported and has a tendency to work loose. This arises because they are only secured to the frame by two self tapping screws which gradually work loose and will not tighten. It is interesting that later models seem to have the motor & gearbox set at a 90 deg angle to the battery tray - this is not the case with my S1 - which suggests that they have had problems with the earlier set-up. Despite advice to the contrary I have constructed a crude support for the motor to avoid excessive strain on the gearbox and frame mounting when negotiating rough terrain.

One further observation. If you look closely at Power Bug trolleys you will notice identical (or very, very similar) parts are used and there are obvious similarities in the method of construction. Wouldn't mind betting that the parts come from the same supplier (look at Control Boxes for example); and Motocaddy charge 28% more for exactly the same S1 part.

Despite all the hype I would not recommend Motocaddy to anyone. I will be looking elsewhere for my next purchase, which based on my experiences will be much sooner than I would have envisaged.

Dixonk's Response to ianb281's Review

Written on: 22/05/2013

I completely agree. This product is junk!!!!