Nice bit of kit.

From 1 review

Mike__B's review of Stihl FS40 Strimmer

Stihl FS40 Strimmer

“Nice bit of kit.”

Written on: 24/07/2011 by Mike__B (2 reviews written)

I've jsut bought one of these to replace a Ryobi which died after 2.25 years.

Not cheap, it is however seemingly well made and starts instantly. Which is nice. It's light and easy to handle, but at 6'2" I find it a little short for my height.

Accepting it's brand new, I can't comment of course on its durability but I've had experience with Stihl before which suggests its good (at the price it had better be) and my local dealer is just up the road. An important point imho - buying slightly cheaper on the 'net is all well and good until you have to factor in the hassle of returning things by post and covering that cost yourself.

I note it only carries a 1 year guarantee - the Ryobi (for all it was a far cheaper machine) carried a 2 year warranty. The other comment is that I've already used the line on the spool after only 30 mins of strimming round some trees and a wall. Not impressive. It's only 2mm line and seems to be nothing like as robust as the 2.4 I used in the old machine.

Other than that - it's nice, well made, and as long as it proves durable then I'm happy. It's certainly very easy to start, which is more than I could ever say for the Ryobi.