Great price, but you get what you pay for.

Guest's review of Ryobi RBC-52SB Garden Trimmer

Ryobi RBC-52SB Garden Trimmer

“Great price, but you get what you pay for.”

Written on: 05/08/2011

RYOBI RBC-52SB
I am now on second of these machines, the first having lasted a couple of seasons before the starter assembly broke with a 5 week wait for the spare part.
Now I know many will say that they should last longer, but my reply would be 'try to find another machine around 50cc at this price' At the time of writing it's available online (try ebay) for £180 with comparable power machines from other makers costing £700 upwards.
It sometimes can take a good few pulls to start but always does in the end and once running I find it does everything I ask of it, running and working for 5-6 hours a day a couple of days a week.
My biggest criticism would be the difficulty in getting parts when needed but as mentioned at the start, when my 5 week wait was over I ended up with two 52cc brush cutters for under £400. How can this be a bad thing?

I would suggest you buy a better harness than the one supplied, especially if you're going for more than an hour or so at a time. A good quality harness (and this one isn't) will make a world of difference.

In summary, if you have £700 - £1000 to spend without it being too painful then buy a Stihl or Jonsered, they really are the dog's bo**ocks. However, if like me, you don't have unlimited funds then this really is great value. Just remember you don't get a Rolls Royce when you only spend Skoda money!!