My Summer in Melbourne

Guest's review of Sport Lived - www.sportlived.co.uk

“My Summer in Melbourne”

Written on: 04/04/2013

I spent a fantastic summer playing cricket in Melbourne on a 6 month Sport Lived programme. I stayed in the premium accomodation in South Yarra, which was a great location a couple of train stops outside the CBD and just one from the Sports Precinct which is home to the MCG, Rod Laver Arena and AAMI Park. The apartment itself was very comfortable and we all got on extremely well, so we had plenty of fun.

I went to Australia to play some good quality cricket and Sport Lived arranged for me to play at Bentleigh Cricket Club. Bentleigh turned out to be a brilliant place to play with the nicest ground in the competition and some great guys who made it a very enjoyable 6 months. The cricket was also of a high standard and I got to play against some English professionals that I would have seen play on TV. Overall I think my game improved a lot and I learnt a good amount from my time at Bentleigh.

The social events that Sport Lived put on were also very good. We were taken to all of the major sporting events that took place in Melbourne, including the Melbourne Cup, the Boxing Day Test, the Australian Open Tennis and the Formula One. We also went surfing a couple of times which was really good fun, even if I wasn't that great. I also really enjoyed the trip to the Queen Victoria Market on a Wednesday night, where there were lots of food stalls and some live music.

Overall I had a great 6 months and Sport Lived made everything much easier for someone like me who was visiting Australia for the first time. I would definitely recommend this programme to others as it was one of the most worthwhile and rewarding things I have done.