If Calsberg did gap years...

LloydPaternott's review of Sport Lived - www.sportlived.co.uk

“If Calsberg did gap years...”

Written on: 22/03/2013 by LloydPaternott (1 review written)

I applied for the cricket academy in Brisbane. As soon as a I arrived off the plane I realised that I had left my credit card at home. Before I had even asked the SportLived Mentors they had already withdrawn $500 to keep me going until I had sorted myself out!

Within the first couple weeks Brisbane and most towns and cities along the east coast were hit by the biggest floods in years. Our hotel was in the effected area, but SportLived organised us to be moved to a hotel in higher ground immediately, and they were relaying information constantly with our parents back home.

Eventually when we were able to play cricket we played at the University of Queensland! The facilities were excellent and the quality of players at the club was incredible. On a daily basis we would rub shoulders with 6 state players and our overseas pro. Facing these sorts of players not only improves your physical game but they are so willing to offer loads of advice on lifestyle, playing in foreign conditions and adopting a new mental approach, you will struggle not to pick up useful pointers! Some of our matches were at the most picturesque grounds I've played at, I remember coming back from the lunch break and there were around 40 kangaroos on the pitch!

Brisbane was such a great location we ended up lying on the beach in surfers paradise for my birthday followed by a night in the gold coast, genuinely one of the most incredible days of the whole trip!

After the programme had finished myself and my best friend from SportLived decided we would take a party bus with an external company that stops at various surfing spots so we could really get the Australian experience. Words cannot describe what this was like... This link to youtube is a music video that sums up exactly what it was like! We took this trip all the way down to Sydney where we met up with one of my school freinds who coincidently was playing hockey with SportLived in Sydney at the time!

My 3 months I spent in Brisbane was the best 3 months ive ever had! It also helped my cricket substantially! I have gone onto represent Oxford MCCU where I opened the batting as a fresher last year and then was selected to play for British universities in the Second XI championship.