Definitely one of the most amazing opportunities ever

martinadiaz's review of Gap Medics Ltd www.gapmedics.co.uk

“Definitely one of the most amazing opportunities ever”

Written on: 15/06/2013 by martinadiaz (1 review written)

I joined Gap Medics in Tanzania this past May. I can truly say that the entire experience was much more than what I could have ever expected or imagined. I gained much more than knowledge about medicine, I gained a new perspective on how culture differs in different environments. Everything about the trip was worth it.

First of all the entire program is excellent. It is well coordinated and the staff do an amazing job of making sure that every person is getting the best experience. They constantly try and resolve any issues and they are more than willing to move things around so that everything works for the best and every student gets to see everything. Also, the staff in the house are awesome, from the guards to the best cooks in the world, I felt like every person was part of my family by the time I left. Playing soccer every wednesday definitely brought a lot of fun into the house and connections with the staff members. The house and accommodations as well as the food are more than I could have asked for.

The hospital experience was more than awesome. There was a lot of variation in what we saw every day and while some days weren't as exciting as others, we truly got to experience what the life there is like, and how medicine is practiced there. The mentors were amazing and something that was truly amazing is how many people in my group knew exactly what part of medicine they loved by the time they left. Some came as pre-med and left as pre-dental. I truly found an interesting in surgery and trauma which I had not considered before. So overall the hospital experience gave me a true vision into what I could really do with medicine.

Aside from the house and the hospital, we got to experience a lot more. One of the parts that truly touched me were the orphanages. It was shocking how much those kids touched my life. The entire town and the people were so kind and interesting, the culture, the language. It all made me fall in love with Iringa, and I truly hope that everyone gets an experience like that, I would do it again, and again.