Diving, Teaching & Wildlife review,

Guest's review of Frontier (Conservation, Education, Exploration) www.frontier.ac.uk

“Diving, Teaching and Wildlife review, ”

Written on: 12/06/2013

Where do i even begin?! Having just got back from the most amazing country i have ever been to its hard to explain what my favorite experiences have been! Arrived and was picked up very promptly by the in country staff at Frontier. Made our way to camp and was suprised at how 'luxurious' the place was, ever had our own cooks and a village next door selling coke etc. After, settling in for the first few says the project work began and i was a mariner for 2 weeks. Did my PADI course which was amazing, the dive instructor was very understanding and a really goo teacher, we all passed within 5 days so we could get on with the surveying etc. To learn the invert, fish and benthic material the staff would put on revision sessions which were really helpful and well presented. After passing all 3 the surveying was a great way to contribute, as well as it being really fun and engaging. However, in my last week, due to lack of tanks and BCDs i only managed to dive 4 times as they were pushing new people through the courses. We also couldnt go out on a few occasions due to the lack of fuel which was also annyoing. Other than thse hicupps the diving was amazing, the staff were awesome and i really enjoyed it. Being in the forest was also an amazing experience. Who gets to hold snakes and find frogs everyday. The staff were so knowledgeable, it made it very interesting and engaging. We would go out in the morning for a walk and do active searches then go out again to a different site in the afternoon- overall i had 3 great weeks in the forest. My time teaching changed quite alot. During my first 2 weeks, we would get the village boat in every morning, teach for 2 hours and then get the boat back at around 1. This was great athough it was a different school everyday so our imput was a little limited. However for my last week, we had brought a house in town, taught for 5 hours a day and at the same school. I felt i was making a much bigger difference than before, I feel that if this teaching program continues it will be very valuble in the future. For the most part, I had the best time of my life, met the most amazing people and would definatly go on a similar project again in the future. However, I feel the Frontier has taken on too many people for the summer months and people there in July and August will have a totally different experience than what i had, which i feel is a great shame. Having said that, an experience is what you make it and i would change a thing about my Magagacan Adverture :)

Kmillsw's Comment

Written on: 04/07/2013

Can you share why you picked to go with Frontier? I would be coming from the US, was there a mix of people on the trip from different countries?